By M. Steven Fish
Are Muslims unique? represents the 1st significant medical attempt to evaluate how Muslims and non-Muslims differ--and don't differ--in the modern international. utilizing rigorous equipment and knowledge drawn from around the world, M. Steven Fish unearths that during a few parts Muslims and non-Muslims fluctuate lower than is often imagined. Muslims are usually not prone to want the fusion of spiritual and political authority or specially liable to mass political violence. but there are alterations: Gender inequality is extra serious between Muslims, Muslims are strangely averse to homosexuality and different debatable behaviors, and democracy is unusual within the Muslim international. different components of divergence endure the marks of a Muslim virtue: murder charges and class-based inequities are much less serious between Muslims than non-Muslims. Fish's findings have very important implications for human welfare, interfaith knowing, and diplomacy.
Read or Download Are Muslims Distinctive?: A Look at the Evidence PDF
Similar church & state books
This publication started in an issue among buddies stunned to discover themselves on contrary facets of the controversy approximately no matter if the USA and the uk should still invade Iraq in 2003. positioned on contrary facets of the Atlantic, in several church buildings, and on assorted aspects of the simply war/pacifist fence, we exchanged lengthy emails that rehearsed on a small scale the nice nationwide and foreign debates that have been happening round us.
In Catholicism, ? ?;Marian apparitions? ? equivalent to these at Lourdes belong to the main marvelous instances of spiritual mass phenomenon. A well-liked case happened in 1983 in Pe? ±ablanca, Chile. in the course of the first tricky predicament 12 months of the Pinochet dictatorship, a seventeen-year-old early life suggested an apparition close to Valpara?
This booklet deals a brand new method for analyzing the ethico-political dimensions of faith and movie which foregrounds film's social strength either to form subjectivity and to snapshot modern social contradictions and analyses 3 particular motion pictures: Kurosawa's Dersu Uzala ; Kiarostami's flavor of Cherry ; and the Coens' the guy Who Wasn't There .
Domestic to the biggest Muslim minorities in Western Europe and Asia, France and India are either grappling with crises of secularism. In Politicizing Islam, Fareen Parvez deals an in-depth examine how Muslims have replied to those crises, targeting Islamic revival hobbies within the French urban of Lyon and the Indian urban of Hyderabad.
- Religious Interests in Community Conflict: Beyond the Culture Wars
- The Prophetic Pulpit: Clergy, Churches, and Communities in American Politics
- Muslim Mafia: Inside the Secret Underworld that's Conspiring to Islamize America
- Religious Rhetoric and American Politics: The Endurance of Civil Religion in Electoral Campaigns
- First Freedom First: A Citizen's Guide to Protecting Religious Liberty and the Separation of Church and State
Additional resources for Are Muslims Distinctive?: A Look at the Evidence
Interestingly, neither the proportion of Muslims nor the proportion of Christians in a country is a statistically significant predictor. 29 Thus, people in wealthier countries tend to rate God’s importance in their lives as about the same as people in poorer countries; there is no visible difference in the importance-of-God scores based on national income. Furthermore, the proportion of one’s fellow religionists who live in a country has no effect—not even a modest one—on the intensity of religiosity.
001. b c All country-level variables are centered at the grand mean. 88. 001. 9 Predicted Probabilities of Attending Religious Services 35 in Mali have a substantially higher predicted probability of considering themselves religious than do the Muslims in Saudi Arabia. Thus, as when we measured religiosity using the importance-of-God scale, when we use the question on whether respondents consider themselves to be “a religious person” living in a more religious environment may be conducive to higher levels of personal religiosity.
001. 9 Predicted Probabilities of Attending Religious Services 35 in Mali have a substantially higher predicted probability of considering themselves religious than do the Muslims in Saudi Arabia. Thus, as when we measured religiosity using the importance-of-God scale, when we use the question on whether respondents consider themselves to be “a religious person” living in a more religious environment may be conducive to higher levels of personal religiosity. The influence of the overall religiosity of one’s environment, moreover, is stronger than the effect of either the concentration of adherents to either Christianity or Islam in that environment or whether one is Muslim versus Christian.